Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Death of Family


I heard a horn honk, and disappointment filled me as I realized that my dad was here to pick me up. My best friend Josh who was like a brother to me sat beside me and said with sorrow in his voice,
“Sounds like your parents are here to pick you up.” His two dogs ran out to greet the stranger that had arrived outside their gate. He had arrived earlier than I had expected so I still needed to roll up my purple sleeping bag and gather the video games that I had brought over for Josh and I to play. I took as long as I could dragging out what little time I had left with my friend before I had to leave. Finally I was ready to go and had no more excuses for why I had to stay a little longer. I walked alongside Babu and Neo (my friend’s two dogs) to my dad’s silver Lexus.

Though it was dark, the air had a still sadness to it, and my father’s gloomy outline was clear as day. I walked toward him practically tasting the misery coming off of him.

“What’s wrong?” I asked him as trouble was written all over it.

“Beau is dead,” He replied. His words punched me in the gut, and the night seemed to get cooler

“You’re kidding right,” I asked out of utter disbelief. He just shook his head and said,

“I would never joke about something like that”. I could feel the tears building up and trying to push out of my eyes, and I could barely hold them back. I reluctantly got into the car and could smell the salty sadness running down my checks, blurring my vision.

“How did he die?” I was able to choke out through my streaming face.

“He got hit by a car. We can’t find a wound so we think it broke his neck. He didn’t suffer.” My dad said to me. I could see that he was crying as well; Beau was his canine play buddy. My father made a few more desperate attempts to comfort me as well as himself, we both were a mess. Beau was my little puppy for six years and it only took a day for him to disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment