Monday, April 19, 2010

School Daze Dialectic Journal


"So you supposedly 'learned' how a bill passes Congress, passed a test on the subject, and promptly forgot all about it."


I was intrigued by this quote because it was completely true for me. In elementary school (before I became part of the High Tech system) I had never gotten less than a 97% on a test no matter what the subject was. But if you asked me where the Delaware River was, what year the American Revolution was started, or even who the war of 1812 was between, I wouldn't be able to answer it without guessing. I feel that this is probably true of most people unless they are really interested in the topic. So if all we do is remember a few facts that we know we are going to be tested on then forget about it to make room for more information that we are going to forget about later on, then what's the point of teaching it to us in the first place other than to waste time?

3 comments:

  1. I think your view is very interesting on this subject, and I totally agree with you. Though the school system does teach us alot it does not make the subject stick. I also agree with the fact that students will only remember what they are interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, what an interesting point of view you have! I love how you put a personal experience to link you to the story. I have also noticed that people usually only remember major events so when we are taught something that wasn't very major in history we tend to not remember it as well as the more popular events in history. (By the way it's nice to know your a straight A student Mr. 95%-Or-Above!) Ha-ha! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully this has changed a bit as you entered the High Tech High system. For instance, most of the tests in my class have you apply the knowledge instead of just memorizing it.

    I don't think that High Tech High schools are the panacea for the woes of the public education system, but I do think we're a good start.

    ReplyDelete